Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

I'm not always JUST about cupcakes!
















I love to bake cookies too! For
Christmas, I used Martha's Cutout Cookie recipe from Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share (Martha Stewart Living Magazine). The recipe was flawless! I changed it just a tiny bit. I divided the dough and rolled them out between pieces of parchment paper. I placed in the fridge over night. In the morning, the dough was ready to be cut out! It worked beautifully! Perfect snowmen, perfect santa hats! Nice crisp lines! When the dough got to warm, I placed it in the fridge for a few minutes. Cold dough is the key!!! 

For the royal icing, I tried Alton Brown's recipe. He has never let me down before, and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to make your own royal icing! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 ounces pasteurized egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

In large bowl of stand mixer combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny. Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired. For immediate use, transfer icing to pastry bag or heavy duty storage bag and pipe as desired. If using storage bag, clip corner. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

2 comments:

  1. My sugar cookies were Martha Stewart's recipe - they came out awesome! Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside. Yours are soooo pretty. Very professional looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you bake - it always looks good

    ReplyDelete